Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default amps to hp

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
When translating amps to hp for a 120V appliance, is the formula
essentially

120*amps/745.699872

That would give a 15amp ryobi table saw a rating of 2.41hp which is
ridiculously high, no? Is my formula not right, or is 2.41hp not
ridiculous or is there something else I'm missing?

You are missing the advertisement junk. Many consumer products are way over
rated. The motor may use 15 amps for about .05 seconds when first started,
but will drop to way less when running. There is no real truth in
advertisement.

Just as some computer speakers are rated from 50 to 100 watts and are