Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default amps to hp

In article , Aaron Fude wrote:
When translating amps to hp for a 120V appliance, is the formula essentially

120*amps/745.699872

That would give a 15amp ryobi table saw a rating of 2.41hp which is
ridiculously high, no? Is my formula not right, or is 2.41hp not
ridiculous or is there something else I'm missing?

You're missing two things:
1) The amperage rating on any electric motor represents the locked-rotor
current, i.e. the current it draws when the rotor is unable to move. This is
*much* higher than the current the motor draws when it's in operation, and is
in no way representative of the motor's actual power output.
2) You're also assuming 100% efficiency, which will never be the case. There
will always be some losses due to friction in the bearings, etc.

GIYF