Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand Mark Rand is offline

Default Good bandsaw blade for cutting 1" mild steel?

On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 05:13:04 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Aug 2, 5:49*pm, Louis Ohland wrote:
* *I would like to get a good bandsaw blade for cutting mild steel. At
present, the blade that came with my Jet 5x6 is akin to using a dinner
knife on pine.

Any favorites?

That import stuff is the next thing to banding iron. Get a good Lenox
bimetal blade. 14 TPI should work, you might be able to go coarser
and/or get some of the fancier tooth forms if this is a production
thing and cutting speed is an item of interest. I keep 14, 18 and 24
TPI blades on hand, one pitch just doesn't do it all. Cutting wax
stick helps with some of the tougher stuff.

Stan

The OP said bandsaw and 1" mild steel.

Use a 6/10 or 8/12 blade.

I use a 6/10 balde permanently on my import 5x6 bandsaw. For material less
than 5/8" in diameter, I use a hacksaw.

Mark Rand
RTFM