Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cyberzl1 cyberzl1 is offline

Default Lights for garage/shop

On Aug 3, 10:53*am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
stryped fired this volley in news:14e5d120-54ea-
:

So these are probably not good to use in a garage/shop?

Why? *We were talking about heat per lumen. *As far as I know, sodium
vapor lights are either the most efficient or nearly the most
efficient high-output lamps available, and HIDs are not far behind.

The quartz envelopes are not exposed -- they're contained in an outer
bulb. *The bulb gets hot, but not that hot.

You want lots of light. *You'll have to virtually cover the ceiling
with fluorescents to get the same light output.

LLoyd

What is your ceiling height? It is probably too low for these. "Low
bay" lamps are for 12'+ feet. It's not that they won't work, and
generate a lot of light, just that your coverage will not be very
optimal.

I have 6 of these in a 40x50 shop, with a 16' ceiling height. I
rarely turn on more than two of them at a time. It gets very bright.

I have a bunch of 8' flourescents under the lofted area in my shop. I
think there are two tubes every 2'. They work great, and tuck up into
the trusses nice and tight so I don't have to worry about smacking
them. The HIDs hang down from the ceiling about 2'.

Restrike on the HIDs will not be great. They take a little while to
relight when hot.

JW