Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default On Topic - Transparent Aluminum

Let the Record show that Larry Jaques
on or about Sun, 02 Aug 2009 16:31:03 -0700 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On Sat, 1 Aug 2009 16:04:40 -0700, the infamous "Calif Bill"
scrawled the following:

Nails were made all winter by the blacksmith when he had spare time. They
were expensive then. When settlers picked up stakes and moved, they would
torch the house a lot of times and sift out the nails.

Yep. I've read about that many times and I still shake my head every
time. What a waste!

Robert Service wrote of building boats (for the rush into the
Yukon) and then burning the boats on the far side for the nails.
Expense of nails, expense of having to pack them in, it was 'cheaper'
to burn the boats and recover the ails than haul "extras".
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!