Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
stryped[_3_] stryped[_3_] is offline

Default Lights for garage/shop

On Aug 3, 10:27*am, Jim Stewart wrote:
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
stryped fired this volley in news:f67b0fb7-d78a-
:

At work we have several 480 volt lights HID we are giving away. SOme
of these can be converted to 110 volts with a new transformer and

low
bay dome. WOuld these be good for my garage/shop? The maintenance

guy
thought they were very bright but put off alot of heat.

Don't modify the lamps, get a step-up transformer.

But be very careful, especially with grounding.
480 will kill you in a heartbeat.

HID lamps don't generate as much heat per lumen as incandescent lamps,
but probably more than fluorescents. *The discharge tubes in HIDs run
bright-yellow hot, though you don't see it until they're quenched,
because the light output of the tube swamps the glow of the envelope.

LLoyd- Hide quoted text -

So these are probably not good to use in a garage/shop?

So I only need a step up transformer?