Posted to alt.home.repair
E Z Peaces E Z Peaces is offline

Default Noise insulation

Tom Baker wrote:
On Aug 1, 8:34 pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Thanks for all the funny answers, but especially the thoughtful ones.

Let me add more information.

A. My daughters noise does not bother me. It's the other way, I don't
want the kitchen TV to interfere with here sleep.

B. A carpet is out of the question.

C. The ceiling will also contain IC recessed lights. So it needs to be
not flammable.

I will definitely look into cork, wool and paint - Thanks!

Aaron

Sounds like you are trying to stop airborne noise.
Bedroom to Kitchen reduction is recommended as STC 42.
You can look up the term.
A floor of 1/2" plywood + oak flooring gives an STC of about 25.
Your floor has less mass and probably cracks ( they don't have to be
large to let sound through ) so the STC is low.
I would put a layer of gypsum board against the underside of the
single board floor to close any gaps and add a bit of mass.
A layer of 5/8" gypsum board nailed to the floor with joints sealed
should increase STC to that of the 'normal' floor + 25 STC.
Then the lower ceiling could be 5/8" gypsum board hung on resilient
clips which might add STC 20
The recessed lights will provide a flanking path.
You could add a layer of Homasote (the tack board stuff) to cut down
on reverberations in the ceiling cavity.

I like it!

What about Green Glue? http://www.greengluecompany.com/
It looks intriguing. It adds a lot of damping between the gypsum board
and the floor. If you buy it by the tube, they say it's $15 - $45 to
treat a 4 x 8 board.

Before doing the ceiling, I'd look at the kitchen TV. TVs often
resonate severely on some frequencies. That resonance is heard in the
next room as noise. A pair of self-powered speakers might make
listening more pleasant and quieter.

I'd turn on the TV and scan the bedroom with a microphone and headphones
to see if sound was coming through cracks that could be caulked. That
could be worthwhile whether or not gypsum board was added.