Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default concrete slab for shed

wrote in message
There is no permit required if shed is under 200 sq ft. shed can be 5'
from
property line as long as it has eve trough. I can build it any way I want
according to building inspector. my neighbor built a shed few years ago,
little smaller than mine. same conditions I have. He poured 4" concrete
slab
that he filled several inches with sand to level, roughly the same as I am
doing, and he used no steel no moisture barrier, and no footing. He did
place one row of blocks, and advised me to do the same.(I was planning to
construct walls directly on slab but he says 2x4 plates at bottom of wall
will rot) He filled and raised area around slab with black dirt and
sloped
away. so far he is in pretty good shape he is farther from property line
though. he has been having some minor moisture problems......would like to
know if I put in quality moisture barrier can I then build on slab?
Thanks

All the slabs I've seen here in Maine have an above grade compacted gravel
pad under the concrete slab so water will drain and run AWAY from it...As
has already been pointed out , the moisture barrier is for inside floors
like in a basement....Never seen one under a slab in a garage or shed , but
whatever..The only thing I've seen under a slab is Styrofoam panels to
minamize frost movement.....Bottom plate on the slab should be PT and won't
rot but concidering how your neighbor did his I can see his
concern...LOL.......But you sound as if you want to build it like your
neighbors and have your mind already made up....Let us know how it works
out....