Posted to alt.home.repair
Plague Boy Plague Boy is offline

Default Fans : How many blades?

XR650L_Dave wrote:
On Jul 23, 4:56 pm, "Bob-tx" wrote:
I was shopping for a ceiling fan at a light store (not a big box no
nothing store), and was told by the salesman that a three bladed fan
pushed more air than a four or five bladed fan. Didn't make sense
to me so I asked why that was and was told he didn't know why, but
that is the way it is. I asked if a two bladed fan pushed even more
air, but he didn't know and of course didn't have any. I bit my
tongue and didn't ask about a one bladed fan.

I didn't buy anything yet.

Is it true that a three bladed fan pushed more air than a four or
five bladed fan, and if so, WHY???

I sure would appreciate any info you guys in the know can offer.

Bob-tx

3 blades is most efficient for wind turbines (electricity windmills),
same might be true for fans.

Dave

No, the two-bladed fan is most efficient, but *only* when you
coat both blades with WD-40.

--
PB
"I suspect you're an arrogant little ****ant who grew up in the