Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Ceramic tile over painted basement floor

On Aug 2, 2:15*pm, Frank from Deeeetroit
wrote:
My wife wants our basement floor tiled. *The current floor is 40 year
old cement with a coat of gray paint. *The paint is older than when we
moved-in, 7 years ago. *I do not know what kind of paint, it is,
however, the paint is a flat color, not a shiny surface paint.

Couple of questions (well, actually 3 questions);

Can I tile over a painted floor, if so, what is the best method to
prepare the cement surface?

Ceramic or porcelin tiles? *Is there an advantage to either?

Thanx in advance for your thoughts and advice.

Frank

Detroit, huh? It gets cold there, right?

Ceramic tile on a concrete slab is going to be pretty cold mid-
winter...

DAGS on your subject and you'll get lots of hits that say don't tile
directly over a painted surface. What's the Thinset going to bond
to...the paint? Not the securest of surfaces.

2 options to consider:

1 - Lay down cement board and attach it to the slab with a Ramset or
other power-fastener.

2 - Rent a concrete scarifier and remove most of the paint and rough
up the concrete so the Thinset can bite.