Posted to alt.home.repair
cjt cjt is offline

Default Noise insulation

Ralph Mowery wrote:

"cjt" wrote in message

Aaron Fude wrote:
snip

I'm terribly allergic to fiberglass. I even stay away from insulation
isles at HD.

snip

Wow -- that's one I've never heard of. Fiberglass is just glass; does
that mean you're allergic to GLASS in general? Or what's the mechanism?
How do you avoid encountering fiberglass (it's so common)? Could it
be you're actually allergic to the resin that's often used to bind
fiberglass (I could understand that a lot more easily)?

I do not know what it is about fiberglass, but I have seen several people
breakout when they get around it. For one thing the glass breaks out into
small pieces and gets into the skin.

There is a company that makes fiberglass near the town I live in. I knew
several people that worked there. The stuff would get into their cloths and
car seats. When the family members would get into the car they would start
iching. Also got into some of their cloths when washed together and they
had to be thrown out.

While working at a mobile home place about 40 years ago the walls were
insulated with fiberglass. The wiring was placed in the walls as they were
built. This left about a foot of wire sticking out where the recepticals
would go. Some people could not wire up the recepticals without breaking
out around the hands.

Ah, but that's not actually an allergy -- everybody knows that CONTACT
with fiberglass will irritate skin. Walking down the aisle at Home
Depot is quite different.