Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Veatch[_2_] Tom Veatch[_2_] is offline

Default Parallel Jaw Clamps

On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 16:09:44 -0400, "Jack" wrote:

I have some Bessey's and some Jet's. I tend to reach for the Jet.

I'm sorta on the same page WRT Jorgie and Bessey F-style clamps. Can't
put a finger on the precise reason, but reach for the Jorgies first.

Read the review of several brands of parallel jaws in the Sep 2007
issue of Wood Mag, and Jet got the nod as "Best Tool" with the
Woodcraft Bessey knockoffs as "Best Value".

I know Bessey has a "good name" in clamps, but I simply don't have a
warm fuzzy about the F-styles I own. Yeah, I know, that probably
shouldn't carryover to the parallel jaw type, but it does.

I note that Amazon currently has Jet kits (2 24" + 2 40") for about
US$150 + tax and free shipping. Rockler's US$175 + 15% coupon +
shipping + deferred (free) tax, puts the two within a couple of
dollars of each other. Except Rockler is currently on backorder.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA