Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero Cicero is offline

Default EML and external render musings

On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 21:43:41 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Historically galvanised Expanded Metal Lath (EML) was used for
supporting external render as well as internal plaster work. More
recently the advice seems to have shifted to using stainless for
external work.

What are the thoughts on the life expectancy of galvanised EML used
under traditional render in non coastal locations?

Anyone bought any stainless recently? If so how much did it cost you,
and where from? (some of the prices I have seen online have been plain
daft!)

I removed the render from between upper and lower bays a few years ago
because it had developed a number of cracks. The render appeared to be
original and about 60 years old at the time. The galvanised mesh was in
very good condition (extremely difficult to break up), so I would think
that it has a life expectancy of at least 50 years in most conditions. The
cracks in the render appeared to have developed because the render was too
thick and heavy for a vertical surface, rather than failure of the mesh.

I would think that galvanised is marginally easier to use than stainless
because stainless is so shiny and slippy compared with galvanised.

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door