Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default First emulsion coat has brush strokes - thoughts on improving

John Rumm wibbled:

Not tried the particular paint you mention, but I did happen to use one
not so long ago (might have been a homebase "own brand") that was
absolutely appalling when applied by a brush, but worked really well
with a roller. This was a very thick emulsion - almost like a gel or a
thixotropic gloss in consistency.

Personally I would give it another coat using one of the small 4" roller
handles and a slightly shaggy fleece. I would not go anywhere near it
with a brush again!

I've just put on some of the OP's paint (Dulux Endurance), though in "matt".
I did mine with a roller, and it retained a very mild texture from the
rollering, which is fine with matt paint - so I can see how it may have
retained brush marks. This paint is like a medium thick liquid - not
obviously thixotropic, but nonetheless, quite sticky and not prone to runs.

I'd agree that going over again with a roller is probably the best option.
Either that or an incredibly soft brush.

The paint, in every other respect handled quite well though - minimal
splashing and good coverage.

Cheers

Tim