Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default First emulsion coat has brush strokes - thoughts on improving

jkn wrote:
Hi All
I've just put a coat of Dulux 'Durance - durable and washable'
silk emulsion on a couple of interior walls. I'd previously lined the
walls with heavy-ish duty textured lining paper. I thinned the paint
slightly beforehand (5% or so) and used a good quality synthetic
brush.

Having dried, the walls are now showing brush marks, something I've
never had problems with before (eg. we recently painted other walls
with the same lining paper with Crown 'Breatheasy' matt emulsion -
fine).

I've read elsewhere that these modern fast-drying emulsions can be
susceptible to showing brushstrokes. Advice seems to include putting
(eg. a second coat) on with a roller and then flattening with a good
quality brush, and/or using a 'paint conditioner' such as Floetrol
(never heard of this until now). Any comments on these ideas, or other
suggestions?

Not tried the particular paint you mention, but I did happen to use one
not so long ago (might have been a homebase "own brand") that was
absolutely appalling when applied by a brush, but worked really well
with a roller. This was a very thick emulsion - almost like a gel or a
thixotropic gloss in consistency.

Personally I would give it another coat using one of the small 4" roller
handles and a slightly shaggy fleece. I would not go anywhere near it
with a brush again!

--
Cheers,

John.