Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default EML and external render musings

John Rumm wrote:

Historically galvanised Expanded Metal Lath (EML) was used for
supporting external render as well as internal plaster work. More
recently the advice seems to have shifted to using stainless for
external work.

What are the thoughts on the life expectancy of galvanised EML used
under traditional render in non coastal locations?

Anyone bought any stainless recently? If so how much did it cost you,
and where from? (some of the prices I have seen online have been plain
daft!)

if the render is sound, the galvanised stuff is almost completely out of
damps way, and mostly fairly embedded in the render.

Now we know that split hazel and cowdung lasts a couple of hundred
years..so I would think galv steel will be at least no worse..;-)