Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Storing an Auto Battery?

stan wrote in
:

On Jul 31, 10:37*am, (Larry W) wrote:
In article
,*sa. wrote:

...skipped...

In the old days, batteries had hard rubber cases and setting them on
concrete could result in a ruined battery. Modern Batteries are not
made of rubber any longer, so it really doesn't matter. I usually
put mine on a piece of wood just out of habit, I guess. The more
important issue is to make sure you keep it charged and the water at
the proper level.

In the _really_ old days some battery cases were even made of wood.

--
* * *Make it as simple as possible, but no simpler.

* * *Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonesta

r. org

Wood yes: Gosh had forgotten that!
And then worked for years with telephone office batteries made of
glass.
Then later clear plastic; so that one could see plate growth/residue
etc.
Thanks for the memory!

Damn that popped a memory bubble. When I was a kid we went on some tour
of the local phone company. Vague images of some basement with all those
batteries IIR.