Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default Porch light keeps blowing bulb

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Tony wrote:

Don Klipstein wrote:
In article , WW wrote:

EDIT FOR SPACE

Had same problin. Cured by adding a 5 amp diode in seris with the hot side
of line voltage. Installed a 300 watt bulb. Diode dropped wattageto about
75 watts. That was 24 years ago, WW
A 300 watt incandescent with a diode dims to brightness of about a 75 or
100 watt incandescent, but consumes about 175-180 watts. (Not 150 because
the cooler filament has lower resistance.)

Thank you. I will add that the same holds true for dimmer switches.
They waste a hell of a lot of electric due to running lights at less
than their rated wattage which makes them very inefficient.

Three way bulbs in table lamps save more $$ than any dimmer switch.

I wouldn't call a dimmer inefficient. If you mean it uses more than 1/2
the power to put out 1/2 the lumens, so what? You're still saving money
when you dim the lights. Almost every light in my house is on a dimmer,
including the closet. It's all about the mood.

Actually it's close to only a 30% reduction in power gives you a 70%
reduction in lumens. If that isn't inefficient *watt* ;-) is?

Anyway, I'm really am glad you have the right "mood" in your closets!
;-) (just watt are you doing in there anyway?)