Posted to rec.woodworking
Jeff Gorman[_2_] Jeff Gorman[_2_] is offline

Default Should be shot...

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote

.......................... I don't know why, but it seems like using a
standard
#2 pencil allows me to be more accurate in my woodworking marks and
measurements than using a 0.5mm mechanical pencil. By lowering the
precision, I've increased the accuracy.

It seems to me that if a pencil line is made from a templet (eg scrbing the
pins from dovetails or vice-versa), we need to saw to the outside of the
line, hence as far as accuracy is concerned, the thickness is immaterial,
though a thick line is easier to see.

If the line is a dimension line, we locate the centre of the pencil at the
required mark, so we should saw to remove half the line. In this case a
fairly thick line can be better since we can more easily see the remaining
half of the line.

Jeff

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK