Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Paint for plastic Shutters

On Aug 2, 12:27*am, Red Green wrote:
JIMMIE wrote in news:edcff647-4efe-4805-90dd-
:

On Jul 31, 9:56*pm, wrote:
My *shutters seem to need a paint job.... *they held up fairly well
for about 10 years but are rather faded. * They are the plastic
type shutters sold at the local big box stores.

Any suggestions on what type of paint to use.... *should they
be primed first ?? *Top coated ??? * I'm planning on using a
brush so self leveling paint would help.

Thanks in advance !!!

Peter

I painted mine a couple of years ago with Krylon plastic paint. So far
so good.

Jimmie

Really is interesting to hear a success story painting shutters.

Mind telling us what you did as far as cleaning, sanding, priming or
whatever? Do they get much sun morning/afternoon? What area are you
located?- Hide quoted text -

Plasic shutters, I washed them with TSP and bleach and sprayed them
with the Krylon plastic paint. I admit my shutters live a sheltered
life being only on the north and east side of the house. The southern
side has bay windows and french doors so there are no shutters on
them. They are dark blue and I dont think they have faded since I
painted them but two years isnt much of a test.. My neighbors who live
across the street face the south had to replace their's a few years
ago as their's was beyond painting. The house, 20 years old, had
wooden shutters when I bought it and they had to be replaced after 10
years.

Jimmie