Posted to alt.home.repair
jeff_wisnia[_2_] jeff_wisnia[_2_] is offline

Default Porch light keeps blowing bulb

Dave wrote:

About every 5th time (+/-) the light is turned on the bulb blows.
Sometimes it can go a dozen times, sometimes just a couple times.
There are other lights on the same circuit and they don't experience the
same problem.

I'm going to get into it this weekend to check the line voltage and make
sure all of the connections at the light and switch box are secure and
insulated but I can't imagine a loose connection or even a short would
blow a bulb (am I wrong on this?).

What else should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance!

-Dave

Don't overlook the possibility that a loose neutral (read higher
resistance than a "solid" connection) combined with current loads on the
opposite side of the 230 volt service could be causing higher than
normal voltage across that bulb. It's a long shot, but far from unheard of.

My own solution for increasing the life of incandescent bulbs is to
install a solid state dimmer in a non accessable location and crank it
slightly down from full on. I did that for all the 25 and 40 watt
bathroom mirror surround lights in our home when we built it 23 years
ago and its amazing how few times in all those years I've had to replace
a bulb in those bathrooms. I willingly accept the slight lumen per watt
inefficiency in return for the savings in bulb costs.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)