Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] cheapdave@home.com is offline

Default concrete slab for shed

Well after contemplating several options, have decided to pour a concrete
slab for 12 x 16 shed....what I have done so far is to remove sod and put up
forms. On one side the top of forms are about 4" above grade, and the other
side witch is 5' from property line, top of forms are about 10" above
grade. Also I am in Michigan so 42" frost line and I do not have great
drainage, but have chosen a location that is higher. I plan to pour 4" slab.

Am thinking to dig out one side to about 6" depth and fill with couple
inches of sand..the other side will need to be filled more, my neighbor says
just fill with sand, but I think I should fill with 4 or 5 inches of
crushed limestone then inch or two of sand on top....is this one of those 6
of one half dozen of the other type deals?

should I put a footing around perimeter? if so how big? or would that be
overkill. and would a footing say 1' deep by 1' wide be a problem with
frost? what about just pouring concrete 6" thick at perimeter, would that
be ok?

With the drainage issues here, think I need a moisture barrier....What
should I use?

also thinking 3/8 rebar - spaced about 18" sound right?

any advise appreciated.