View Single Post
  #6   Report Post  
Poseidon

Default Table Saw questions

The G1023SLX would be $1180.00 shipped. Anyone know how the Jet compares?

--
Michael Hoskowicz
"Lawrence A. Ramsey" wrote in message ...
Have only seen good post on the Griz 1023. People that have them like
them. A cabinet saw is much more stable and stronger than a contactors
saw plus you never have to wonder about upgrading. I bought a used
Unisaw, a Hitachi 12MV router and am very happy. Plus a Unifence with
the T-Track so that I could add feather boards and board buddies and
clamps and whatever. Check w/Delta dealer and see about a factory
reconditioned Unisaw. I bought one so I KNOW they sell them. Think
about a shaper for big stuff and a router for smaller stuff. I would
suggest the following:

Cabinet saw-Jet, Delta, Grizzly, Powermatic, General
18" Mini-Max band saw or Laguna-great for resawing
Hitachi M12v router.
That is some serious machinery BUT have high resale vallue should/when
that day arrives. Always buy the best; you'll never regret it but you
will often find yourself regretting buying a cheaper machine just to
save a few bucks. You can find used fences on Ebay and other sites.

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:39:26 -0600, "Poseidon"
wrote:

I would like to ask for comments on a highly disputed topic - table saws. After a long hiatus I am getting back into WW and need to update my table saw (currently a Ryobi BT3000). My future projects include: a sleigh bed, chest of drawers, bookcases, and nightstands. I know these are ambitious projects and I intend to start with smaller projects to re-immerse my feet. Now back to my dilemma. I am in the market for a good table saw and have been stewing about a contractor vs. a cabinet saw. I have read many good articles and reviews on the subject; however, they tend to contradict each other somewhat. Whatever saw I end up with must have a good fence! A biesemeyer fence spoiled me on a unisaw, years ago, at an Air Force Base wood hobby shop.

My top choice was the JET 708663DXK JTAS-10XL JET Left-Tilt Xacta Saw with 50" Fence, Router Lift, Upgrade Fence, and Bosch Router until I read a review in a recent magazine. It showed a picture of a cut that wasn't supportive for the saw. I would really appreciate comments about that review - either supporting or debunking that review. I really like that package, as I want to upgrade from my old Craftsman router as well.

On the other side of the spectrum I've been looking at the Grizzly contractor saw ($720 shipped) and figure I could buy a router and a Router Lift system for another $500-600. I like the integral router table/table saw system, but I remember reading that some people reverted back to a dedicated router table. Please feel free to share your opinions on this subject.

This is where it kind of falls apart for me. If I spend another $500 I get another 1.5 hp and a 52" fence system. I know it would be worth it, if only there wasn't a nagging question about the cut. On second thought, I would need to buy a mobile base and have a 220 plug put into the garage. I suppose that would elevate the price to about $2000. Roughly $800 more than a contractors saw, would it be wiser to spend that $800 on other tools like a jointer or band saw?

I am fully cognizant that only I can answer which saw is best for me and have others saws like the Grizzly 1023 dancing through my head; nevertheless, many of you have struggled with these questions and I would like to hear how you handled it, or how you would if you had to do it again.

Thanks, Mike