Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Nigel Feltham Nigel Feltham is offline

Default Li Ion replacement

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 00:37:21 -0700, spamme0
wrote:

buy cells with tabs.
do not solder to lithium cells!!!!! unless you have very good fire
insurance, medical insurance and a death wish.

Well, you're right. Heat will cause a Li-Ion battery pack to
deteriorate rather rapidly. There's also the fire danger. Several
web sites recommend against soldering directly to the can on Li-Ion
cells. For example:
http://www.electronics-lab.com/articles/Li_Ion_reconstruct/

http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/battery/oem/images/pdf/panasonic_liion_precautions.pdf
"Do not short circuit, overcharge, crush, mutilate, nail penetrate,
incinerate, reverse polarity, heat above 100 degrees Celsius, solder
directly on the metal can."

I guess I've been lucky as my method of dunking the battery into water
after soldering seems to have prevented any problems. However, in the
future, I probably won't take the chance. It's too risky.

Especially once you know what happens when you mix lithium and water - the
lithium catches fire.