Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Somebody asked for a link to the big power tubes I worked with ...

Jeff Liebermann wrote in message
On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 09:53:50 -0400, Meat Plow
wrote:

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 23:10:13 +0200, Sjouke Burry
wrote:

Meat Plow wrote:
On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 08:50:30 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 10:50:43 -0400, Meat Plow
wrote:

I'm a power tube lover. I love the
smell of rarefied air around power supplies and tube anodes.
Ummm... that would be the ozone. If you make a habit of ozone
sniffing, you may want to check if you're exhibiting any symptoms:
http://www.epa.gov/03healthtraining/population.html

I have an ozone generator + filter. In the right PPM it's beneficial
to kill airborne disease. Thanks to that thing I haven't suffered a
cold or flu as long as it's been running.

And now just wait for lung cancer to hit you.

Ah ok. So ozone causes lung cancer?

I don't think there's a cancer link quite yet. However, breathing
ozone causes some rather nasty pulmonary irritation:
http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html
There are also hints that it has secondary cardiovascular effects:
http://ajplung.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/297/2/L209
and DNA damage:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15923135

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

My mummy never told me it was dangerous breathing in all that ozone, after
playing with my electric train set for hours and filling the room with that
distinctive arcing and sparking smell.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England