Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Porch light keeps blowing bulb

In article , Bob F wrote:
Dave wrote:
On 7/31/2009 09:17 Art Todesco wrote:
Dave wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
About every 5th time (+/-) the light is turned on the bulb blows.
Sometimes it can go a dozen times, sometimes just a couple times.
There are other lights on the same circuit and they don't
experience the same problem.

I'm going to get into it this weekend to check the line voltage
and make sure all of the connections at the light and switch box
are secure and insulated but I can't imagine a loose connection
or even a short would blow a bulb (am I wrong on this?).

EDIT FOR SPACE

Possibly water leaking into the fixture?

Would this cause a bulb to blow?

Probably not right when turned on. A drip on a hot bulb will break it.

I have at a few times seen hot bulbs get cracked and last at least
several hours afterwards. But when the bulb is alowed to cool, it sucks
in air. The next time it is turned on, it burns out over a few seconds.
The telltale symptom is a slightly greenish gray-white smoky coating on
the inside surface of the bulb. This coating may be hardly visible in
white frosted bulbs.

- Don Klipstein )