Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave[_40_] Dave[_40_] is offline

Default Porch light keeps blowing bulb

Yeah, I had considered the vibration possibility. No kids and no
slamming of the door. Not that something else can't be causing
vibration, but I doubt it's from the door.

I was more curious if it was possible there was some electrical anomaly
causing this and if so, how I could find it.

I'm not opposed to CFL, and if my investigation turns up nothing I'll
probably switch to CFL.

On 7/31/2009 08:22 Bill wrote:
Greedy corporations trying to sell more light bulbs is the answer. This
never happened when I was a kid.

You can get a "rough service bulb". These are made to withstand vibrations.
And being next to the door, when the door closes, this may be vibrating the
bulb. Especially if you have kids running in/out.

Or might try compact fluorescent.

LED bulbs are quite expensive and not as bright, but will last forever.

"Dave" wrote in message
About every 5th time (+/-) the light is turned on the bulb blows.
Sometimes it can go a dozen times, sometimes just a couple times.
There are other lights on the same circuit and they don't experience the
same problem.

I'm going to get into it this weekend to check the line voltage and make
sure all of the connections at the light and switch box are secure and
insulated but I can't imagine a loose connection or even a short would
blow a bulb (am I wrong on this?).

What else should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance!

-Dave