Posted to alt.home.repair
Ulysses Ulysses is offline

Default Do Anteaters Make Good Pets?

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 18:44:33 -0700, "Ulysses"
wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 08:14:09 -0700, "Ulysses"
wrote:

I have a big problem with little ants. Not the really tiny

micro-ants,
but
the red ones that are maybe 1/2" long. They are surprisingly painful

when
they bite you and leave a sizable welt. I have tried sprinkling the
anthills with Bug-B-Gone and it seems to work for about three days and

then
they just open up a new hole and go on about their business. I even

tried
spraying them with Raid but that had little effect. Anyone have a

product
that they like for getting rid of ants? If it's possible I would

prefer
product that won't kill any birds that eat the ants. The quail appear

eat the ants but I can't really confirm this. In any case they don't

eat
enough of them to make a difference so now I'm wondering about

anteaters
and
if they would like living in Southern California High Desert and if

the
coyotes would bother them and if they could actually control the

problem.
Seriously.

Try Tero. It contains the ingrediant Boric acid, toxic to insects,
low toxicity to humans and animals. You may have fire ants.

Thanks. Is that the same thing as roach powder?

RoachPruf is a blue colored boric acid. You could mix it with sugar
or grease as the bait. Lookup the concentration, you don't want it so
strong that they die before feeding the queen!

I read some more about anteaters and it looks like the problem is that they
avoid eating the queen so the nest survives so they don't destroy their food
supply. If only rabbits were that smart.

So far boric acid looks like the way to go.