Posted to sci.electronics.repair
spamme0[_2_] spamme0[_2_] is offline

Default Li Ion replacement

D Yuniskis wrote:
spamme0 wrote:
D Yuniskis wrote:
Hi,

I'm replacing the battery in a GPS unit. Looks to
be an "A" cell (no, not AA or AAA), 3.7V 1800mAHr.
Of course, the battery has pigtails soldered to it
so I'll need something with either pigtails or solder
tabs as its replacement (I doubt I could add any
sort of battery holder in this small space!).

google 18650.

Thanks! Seems to be the right size and capacity;
but I need something with *pigtails*:

"Of course, the battery has pigtails soldered to it
so I'll need something with either pigtails or solder
tabs as its replacement (I doubt I could add any
sort of battery holder in this small space!)."

I haven't a clue as to how I could otherwise make the
connection to the battery (without risking explosion/damage).

buy cells with tabs.
do not solder to lithium cells!!!!! unless you have very good fire
insurance, medical insurance and a death wish.
Your wife will be very angry six months later when the GPS
sets her car on fire. So, if the battery doesn't hurt you, she will.

Just in case you missed it....DO NOT SOLDER DIRECTLY TO ANY BATTERY,
ESPECIALLY LITHIUMS. People will tell you they do it.
Are you feeling lucky?

You need a battery tab welder if you try to use non-tabbed cells.

Virtually every lithium ion laptop battery pack
ever made contains tabbed 18650 cells. Buy an old battery pack
and take it apart...carefully.
Sometimes, you can talk the radio shack guy to give you one from his
recycle bin. Or ask the IT guy at work.

Cut the tabs. You can (carefully) solder to the remaining part of the
tabs if they're 1/4 inch or more without overheating the cell.

Your gps (probably) takes significantly less peak current
than a laptop, so a weak laptop pack that's not completely dead
may provide useful cells for your application.