Ray Kinzler

Default Building Kitchen Cabinets

Swingman,

As Lucy van Pelt used to say in the old "Peanuts" comincs: "THAT'S
IT!!!!!"

John Paquay's manual is exactly what I was referring to. However, the
material mentioned by others looked very good as well. I guess I was
just looking for the old cut-to-the-chase sort of manual and this is
it. Nothing fancy.

Thanks also to the others who responded and gave a few hints (like
watch out for the inside corners). It was sort of a good feeling to
be told that building kitchen cabinets is easier than making a
cardboard box. It certainly seemed that way to me but if all you guys
think the same thing, it makes me feel a lot better.

I also liked the ideas about the lazy susans and the advice to think
things out. I am going to take some real time to brainstorm to see
what I can come up with but I am basically limited in what I can do.
The kitchen is a rectangle and there is not enough room for an island
in the middle (unless the wife wants to get rid of the kitchen table
and eat in the dining room). I see spots where I can hang some
additional cabinets like on the wall above the microwave, above the
fridge, and above the sink (maybe). Other than that, I am
more-or-less going to mimic what is already in place as far as
dimensions are concerned. The only big thing I could maybe do is
knock out a wall but (a) it is a load-bearing wall and I do not have
enough experience messing with that sort of stuff although a 2x12
spanning across the opening should hold it and (b) that would actually
take away from the space that I have because that is where the kitchen
sink is currently.

I am getting WAY ahead of myself. I need to get a manual and a few
hundred pieces of paper and draw something.

Thanks a lot!!

"Swingman" wrote in message tnews.com...
John Paquay's "Building Your Own Kitchen Cabinets" and Jim Toplin's
"Building Traditional Kitchen Cabinets".