Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Would this really save electricity?

T i m presented the following explanation :
Indeed and your para above confirms my (and the TV presenters) point
about using appliances at their design voltage.

Agreed, but other than incandescent lamps, there are not many (if any)
other items which have an absolute design voltage or not able to work
as efficiently at a range of voltages.

Of course 'multi voltage' devices will cope so they don't really count
in any case, it's the stuff being designed to run on a fixed 230 being
run on 240 (as it is here right now) where I think they think there
could be a saving.

Such as? You buy lamp bulbs to match your supply voltage, so they
should already be working at their best efficiency. Kettles simply need
to run for less time to boil the water on the full voltage. Ovens
similarly. None of your tech equipment cares about the voltage and will
simply increase their current draw for the decrease in voltage, so what
am I missing?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)