Posted to alt.home.repair
gore[_3_] gore[_3_] is offline

Default 240 Volt wire?

"gore" wrote in message

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a wire that seems to have only to conductors in it. It's a gray
wire in which the plastic sheath is tight over the wire. The two wires
are about 1/4" apart. I'm not sure how to better describe it.

It seems to be connected to a double breaker and carrying 240V to the A/C
unit. Does that make sense? I guess if the two wires are 120V
out-of-phase then the AC current can just flow from one of the wires to
the other?

I'm trying to make sense of this for my own education, but also wondering
what kind of wire I would need (12/2?) to replace this one (it's routed
stupidly).

Thanks,

Aaron

Is there a ground wire at all? I know UF cable is gray (well the sheathing
is). Example:

http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/...e--667888.aspx

You have to look at the breaker that it is hooked up too. Some units
onlyrequire a 30 amp breaker in which case you would use 10/2 with ground
or10/3 with ground if for some reason you need the neutral. If you are
goingto replace it, then maybe think about setting a disconnect like this:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...1RP&lpage=none .

and get one of these and use #10 thhn wire inside to go from the box to
theAC unit (look at the picture on the bag): .

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...DRB&lpage=none .

Of course this is just an example for a 30 Amp system.

sorry about the links usually it works. anyway I would get a 30A disconnect,
some THHN #10, and some Carflex and connectors for the outside.