Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Li Ion replacement

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 08:13:41 -0700, D Yuniskis
wrote:

spamme0 wrote:
D Yuniskis wrote:
Hi,

I'm replacing the battery in a GPS unit. Looks to
be an "A" cell (no, not AA or AAA), 3.7V 1800mAHr.
Of course, the battery has pigtails soldered to it
so I'll need something with either pigtails or solder
tabs as its replacement (I doubt I could add any
sort of battery holder in this small space!).

google 18650.

Thanks! Seems to be the right size and capacity;
but I need something with *pigtails*:

Ummm.... Find a picture of a pig. Note the tail. There's no
semblance to a battery tab.

"Of course, the battery has pigtails soldered to it
so I'll need something with either pigtails or solder
tabs as its replacement (I doubt I could add any
sort of battery holder in this small space!)."

I haven't a clue as to how I could otherwise make the
connection to the battery (without risking explosion/damage).

Ummm.... Google for "18650 tabs". There are also a mess of cells
available on Ebay using the same search key.

I've also been fairly successful with soldering wires onto the cells.
However, some cells use a stainless can, which won't solder. For
battery pack rebuilds, there's sometime not enough room for the
inevitable "lump" formed when soldering wires. That's not the case
with spot welded tabs, which lie flat.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D