Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry The Snake Guy Larry The Snake Guy is offline

Default On Topic - Transparent Aluminum

I guess it's "interesting" in a way, but since there isn't even the
suggestion of a possibility of it remaining transparent without
constant application of large amounts of energy, I'm not sure there's
any use for this particular transformation (unless it has other
properties that make it useful in a physics lab).

It does remind me of the Star Trek movie they reference...where the
crew goes to great lengths, including changing the course of history
on earth, to obtain some "transparent aluminum"... Of course no one
ever explains why "normal" aluminum wouldn't have made a perfectly
sufficient whale tank other than the fact that it wouldn't have looked
as cool...