Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Would this really save electricity?

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 18:28:31 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

After serious thinking T i m wrote :
I think the key to this device working is if we are to agree that most
domestic electric devices were designed to run at (say) 220V or not.
If so then running them at a higher voltage isn't necessarily going to
yield any further performance (which is what I think the presenter was
trying to put over).

Modern tech devices are made to work over a range of voltages. As the
voltage rises to maximum, the current demand falls.

Understood, anything with a SMPSU for example.

snip

Like trying to boil an egg faster by turning the gas up on the already
boiling water.

Not quite, all (almost all) the energy from electricity is delivered
into where it is needed.

Well yes, but my point was no matter how *hard* you boil the water it
will still take the same time to cook the egg. ;-)

T i m