Dave Plowman

Default How loud is 43Db

In article ,
Christian McArdle wrote:
I'm fairly certain the origin of the decibel (or bel, of which it is a
tenth) is that it is the minimum change in level that the average ear
can determine in its most sensitive range.

Nah, the magnitude of a decibel is simply based on 1/10 of a log10 and,
so, is mathematically determined. However, you may be getting confused
with your story, as when calibrated for use as a noise measure, 0dB is
set at a standard threshold of human hearing level by convention.

Well, regardless of where you start the scale, the bel must be a
'quantity' based on something as any unit is.

--
*If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn