Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET is offline

Default Spring repair?

I bought a 20" Rockwell drill press with a broken return spring.

I uploaded a photo to the drop box.

http://metalworking.com/dropbox/10_Broken_spring_.JPG
RWL

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 RoyJ wrote:

Hold the inner end of the spring with a pliers about 1/2" to 3/4" from
the end, heat it red hot to kill the temper on the end, bend it to fit.
It will be a bit shorter than original but should work.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. The spring hadn't been shortened
much by the break, so I took Roy's suggestion and annealed abount an
inch of it and put a new slot in it for the peg that holds it to the
quill. That worked - at least so far. The quill has a 6" range.
We'll see over time if the spring holds up.

Thanks again to all.

RWL