Posted to alt.home.repair
David Combs David Combs is offline

Default Acetone in keyhole?

In article ,
Jim Yanik wrote:
willshak wrote in
om:

on 6/2/2009 6:58 AM (ET) Justin wrote the following:
Hello,
After locking myself out of my apartment yesterday, I managed to make
the problem worse by fiddling with a piece of plastic in the lock
which broke off and ended up being shoved pretty far into the back of
the key hole. I tried using some needles to get it out, but no dice.
Anyone have a reasonably cheap solution? Would injecting acetone
damage the mechanism in any way?

Have the landlord or a locksmith remove the lock to get the plastic
piece out

acetone would only soften the plastic and melt it into the crevices,making
it MUCH harder to remove.

try a coping saw blade(minus the pin),the teeth will pull the plastic
out,hopefully.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Am confused by the post:

I thought you used plastic (eg credit card) to slip between
the door and the frame, to push out wedge-shaped "bolt"-like thingie.

So what's all this about plastic ending up WITHIN the KEY-HOLE?

Thanks,

David