Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Energy Star natural gas direct vent water heater

Phisherman wrote:
I need to purchase a new water heater. I found 4 direct-vent gas
water heaters in my area, only two would fit. None of these water
heaters are Energy Star. Do Energy Star gas water heaters exist? I
can buy a non-Energy Star, but there is no tax credit and it is not
"green." There are tankless Energy Star heaters that cost more, but
after reading Consumer Reports I don't want one of those due to the
maintenance costs and the "cold sandwich" phenomenon. Is $800
reasonable for a natural gas direct vent 40 gallon water tank (6 year
warranty)? Trying to keep costs under one grand and doing the install
myself.

$800? Eek!

Lowes has several gas water heaters for around $400! Their MOST expensive
(out of maybe 100 models) is $826.

Here's one from Lowes that IS Energy Star rated ($409)
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...BFG2F4040T3NOV
7KE&lpage=none

Sears has at least four models in the $400 range that are Energy Star rated.

I'd expand my search area.