Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Somebody asked for a link to the big power tubes I worked with ...

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 10:50:43 -0400, Meat Plow
wrote:

I'm a power tube lover. I love the
smell of rarefied air around power supplies and tube anodes.

Ummm... that would be the ozone. If you make a habit of ozone
sniffing, you may want to check if you're exhibiting any symptoms:
http://www.epa.gov/03healthtraining/population.html

I love
the fact that you're working with voltages/currents that could
instantly kill you.

When I worked in 2way radio in Smog Angeles, we would kill or
hospitalize at least one technician a year, usually due to high
voltage electrocution. My introduction to the statistics was holding
a grounded metal case microphone in one hand, while probing around
with a long screwdriver in the other hand. That last thing I recall,
before the lights went out, was a brilliant purple glow (caused by a
combination of parasitic oscillations and a gassy tube) in the final
output tube. I later repeated the same mistake several times before I
learned my lesson and purchased a better insulated screwdriver.

My favorite 'tube' has got to be the mercury
rectifier.

Hmmm... sounds like a mild case of mercury poisoning.

I forget what island but one island had AC piped in and for
some reason built this giant MAR. I don't think this was the railway
substation for the Isle of Man although that one built in the 30's is
pretty awsome and still in use.

I haven't had any personal experience with mercury vapor rectifiers.
That may help explain why I'm still alive today.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D