Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default off topic computer question

mm wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 21:27:30 -0500, "Big Bob" wrote:

If both computers have network cards, use what's called a crossover
cable. this will eliminate the need for the router someone mentioned
Be sure both computers are set to the same workgroup and both have
file sharing enabled

Do files to be shared have to be in a certain folder, or maybe the
folder has to be listed somewhere? I've never done this, but I think
I read that somewhere?

On a machine containing stuff you want others to use, you announce to the
network what "resource" you will share with others. You give that resource a
name by which it will be known to the network. That resource could be a
printer or a disk folder (directory).

For example, if you want others to be able to view your
"C:\BadFarmGirlsAndGoats" folder, you right-click the "BadFarmGirlsAndGoats"
folder name, pick the "Properties" option, then select the "Sharing" tab.
This allows you to assign a network name (i.e., "DailyPrayers") to this
folder and set a couple of other options.

Thereafter, other users on the network have the capability of adding access
to this shared resource to their own machines. On these other machines,
you'll use the "Map Network Drive" function.