Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default off topic computer question

Freckles wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article ,
"Freckles" wrote:

I have an XP system and I replaced the USB-1 card with a USB-2 card
and the
speed of the USB drive is very much faster. I would guess it is
close to the
speed of my hard drive.

You would guess wrong...

Wow! Sight unseen and you know more about my system than I do?
Amazing!

He doesn't have to know more about your system if he knows more about
transfer rates.

USB-2 theoretical maximum bandwidth is 480Mbit/s. In the real world,
counting system overhead, packet information, and the like, the actual
transfer rate is about 25-60MByte/s for USB-2.

Your ordinary SATA hard drive (bandwidth of 3Gbit/s) will move data at
around 300MByte/s - about 50 times faster.

Here's a comparison chart (scroll down):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA