Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default off topic computer question

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 21:27:30 -0500, "Big Bob" wrote:

If both computers have network cards, use what's called a crossover cable.
this will eliminate the need for the router someone mentioned
Be sure both computers are set to the same workgroup and both have file
sharing enabled

Do files to be shared have to be in a certain folder, or maybe the
folder has to be listed somewhere? I've never done this, but I think
I read that somewhere?

As to USB2, wouldn't having a faster USB port also speed up the
flashdrive? Even if it doesn't, I don't assume he's moving the whole
system and I don't see a problem using the flash drive. When I had
dial up, while webpages downloaded, I read my email and my newsgroups.

He can get an 8 gig flashdrive, or a 4 or 2 but the big one isn't that
much more money. They may have 16 by now, or greater. Soon 8 will be
the smallest and they'll be giving 4 away as premiums. Ilike my sanza
flashdrive with U2, I think it is, because data and qualified programs
can both reside on it, and all I have to do is plug it into any XP or
higher USB port and I can run my programs with my flashdrive without
bothering their hard drive. Plus there is plenty room for other
storage.