Posted to alt.home.repair
TomYoung[_2_] TomYoung[_2_] is offline

Default Can't keep faucet aerator from leaking. What's the secret?

Hi all:

I've got a Price Pfister kitchen faucet and the chrome screw-on
aerator set up has always been something of a problem. Each time I'd
remove it for cleaning there would be a very slight leak past the
threads upon re-attachment. Over the course of a few days sediment
would creep into the threads and the leak would stop until the next
time I'd take it off.

Thinking the problem was some aspect of the machining of the aerator I
ordered a new one, and this one leaks even worse. Even with the
faucet threads wrapped with teflon tape the leak past the threads is
significantly worse than with the old aerator, yet the new aerator has
a brand-new washer in it.

I've tightened it as tight as I can by hand, which I'd think should be
sufficient since you're *supposed* to take the aerator off from time-
to-time. The only other thing I can think to do is to get one of
those "strap" wrenches to torque the aerator down even tighter but
before I resort to that I suppose I could get some plumber's pipe dope
and try that.

Is there something I'm doing wrong here?

TIA.

Tom Young