Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drill press switch query

Terry wrote:

Actual metalworking content...

Was drilling a hole with my ElCheapo brand floor model drill press and
the red plastic of the rocker switch popped out, never to be seen
again. Unscrewed the panel to the switch and lo-and-behold, there are
*four* wires connected (via spade connectors) to this switch, not two.
Two wires are red and are fastened to the same female spade connector.
One is black and if my voltmeter knows what it's talking about, it's
the hot wire. The fourth wire is black and is not hot when the
machine is plugged in.

My plan *was* to replace the switch with an ordinary 15A wall switch
but that doesn't sound like a good idea anymore. Help, please?

How about a foot switch?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96619

A must-have for hands-free operation of table routers, scroll saws,
drill presses, lathes, and rotary tools. Effortless installation: plug
the foot switch into a grounded outlet, then plug the machine into the
foot switch.

Easy to operate. Hand or foot use. Momentary snap-action design -- press
to turn on and maintain power, step off to turn off. Includes 7 ft. 5"
power cord

110V, 15 amps, Overall dimensions: 6-3/8" L x 3-1/2" W x 2-3/4" H
Weight: 1.2 lbs.

ITEM 96619-2VGA $9.99

Here is the manual.

http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/96000-96999/96619.pdf

I use a similar footswitch on my drill press. There are separate
switches for the motor and light, so my footswitch is hard wired in
series with the motor switch. It is very handy, and if the drill
catches the work, or breaks, its quicker than letting go to turn off the
regular switch. I can take a couple pictures, if anyone wants to see
the modifications.