Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT cleaning cine film?

Owain wrote:
On 28 July, 14:36, "Alistair Ross" wrote:
I managed to rescue a lot of cine footage from a house clearance. One film
title caught my eye 'Racing at Snetterton', there turned out to be several
cine films of late 1950's to mid 1960's motor racing events taken in East
Anglia.....Problem is that the films have been stored where damp and dust
have taken their tole.
Any of you wizzes out there know the correct way to clean cine footage
without removing the image.

Compressed air.

You can swab with IPA (carefully, trial area first) but if dirt
accumulates on the swab it will scratch the film.

If it's mildew-y be careful about removing the mildew as the mildew
eats the emulsion.

This site has suggestions
http://www.film-center.com/clean.html

You can get Fotospeed FC50 film cleaner here
http://www.silverprint.co.uk/Product....asp?PrGrp=159

Owain

I have successfully *washed* 34mm and 120 negative film.