Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair
vaughn vaughn is offline

Default generator storage

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
If intentionally arranging for long term storage, the first best option
is sell the thing and avoid storing it. If not that, then a much more
through preparation of the engine helps - running all gas out of it,
oiling the cylinders, changing and perhaps overfilling the crankcase
oil, covering intake and exhaust with aluminum foil - with a subsequent
need to undo all those things at the far end of storage.

First and foremost, read the manual. Storage instructions are almost always
in there. Honda gives short, medium, and long-term storage instructions.
Follow them!

That selling idea does not work for me. Following a disaster, generator
stocks quickly disappear nationwide. If you don't already have one, you are
out of luck!

I keep an EU2000 "pickled" for long-term storage as per the manual, &
packed in a crate ready for shipping. That single generator is there for me
to use as a "backup for my backup" following a Florida hurricane or for use
by my daughter following any of several natural disasters that seem to occur
periodically in California.

Vaughn