Posted to alt.home.repair
BillGill BillGill is offline

Default new drywall on walls but use existing ceiling?

fftt wrote:
On Jul 27, 9:54 pm, ben wrote:
Some previous owner glued thin wood strips to the bathroom walls with
an adhesive. This has been falling off for years. I want to replace
it with clean painted walls. I have been trying to remove the
adhesive but continue to accidentally gouge the drywall in the
process.

The ceiling is fine shape. If I tear down all the drywall on the
walls, will I be able to get a good seam with the existing ceiling? I
know I would tape and mud the joint, but there will already be tape
and mud on the ceiling from the previous joint.

Dont worry...razor knife the ceiling wall "corner" joint, replace the
wall drywall & re-tape / mud the new joint.

Are you sure that continuing to remove he adhesive & then using
drywall mud to repair gouges wouldnt be less work than total wall
replacement?

If the wall finish is going to be smooth you can easily mud & sand the
repairs to match "smooth". Otherwise you can do the repairs & re-
texture all the walls.

cheers
Bob

Repairing the old wallboard is what I did in my bath room. I scraped
the glue off as best I could, then did a skim coat of drywall mud over
the remaining gouges. It came out just fine. With a coat of paint the
marks aren't visible.

Bill