Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default generator storage

On Jul 27, 2:22*pm, "jack" wrote:
question on 3 year old generator (self-starter, battery equipped) stored unused for 3
years

if unit was stored drained from fuel, is there anything detrimental to the non-use,
assuming it was brand new, used for 60 to 90 minutes and then fuel was drained and
item stored ? the battery is totally dead of course, but what about the mechanical or
electronic parts?

oil sat for 3 years but is not colored dark, likely it would contain some moisture but
would it deteriorate just sitting?

anything else that I am not asking, but should ask ?

The cilinder is dry, removing the plug and squirting a foaming fogging
oil will lube it imediatly so you dont score it. On my unit first time
startup after sitting I start it on a cup of 2 stroke gas since it
lubes immediatly and the oil system will take alot more time, after
its running I fill it with gas. If you get no voltage out of it then
flashing it will be necessary, it should have been run every 6-12
months so this would not happen, but some bigger generators have a
circuit that removes this worry. Check the air filter and exhaust, gen
openings for nests, I had a mouse nest in my air filter. It should
have been stored with fogging oil, there is one that foams that coats
everything, you might have rust in the cilinder you cant see that
could have caused alot of damage, see how it runs. Even on new units
the first oil change is recomended after not many hours, change it
before it gets alot of use.