Posted to alt.home.repair
Aaron Fude Aaron Fude is offline

Default 10 Things your contractor won't tell you

HeyBub wrote:
News article:

http://realestate.msn.com/article.as...1445&gt1=35000

My favorite anecdote:

When asked why it was taking so long to install a garbage disposal, the
worker replied: "When they showed me this morning at Home Depot, I thought I
understood."

It's sometimes hard to find an honest workman; give him cookies.

All good points. An honest contractor is 1 in a 100. I have had horrible
experiences with contractors. But I have finally found one who makes
sense. He let's me do all the electrical work except connecting circuits
at the panel. He reviews what I've done and makes recommendations on how
to improve things. Basically, he does only things I cannot do. Another
example - I dry fit all the plumbing and he solders the joints,
especially when they are above your head or near wires. BTW he is
licensed everything. His charge is $300/day, 8 to 5pm and doesn't take
lunch. If you are a DIYer, look for something like that.

Also, it's true that there is no such thing as a bargain. But do
remember, that a high price tag is often a polite way to decline a job.
When I needed a new roof on the addition and four skylights put in, I
got estimates of 6500, 5700, 4300, 3500, and 1900. I went with the 1900.
They showed up with a crew of 5 at 7am, were done by noon, removed a
useless antenna on the main roof and removed 2 tons of my own
construction debris (rationale being, we are here, we have a dump truck
- why not). They've been in business for 30 years.

I have recently posted a question about the plastering estimates I've
been getting for my kitchen. The first one was $8500, the second $7200,
the third $2100, and the forth $1800. I'm going with the $2100 - they've
been in business for 50 years.